ang mga isip ko

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Hardball

Life isn't "black or white". As much as I would like to narrow down opinions or decisions to two sides, I usually find that there's often a (or even many) gray areas in between the two sides. Yesterday, a former student came in pleading that I change her grade from an F to a D. She's taking the class over again this semester, but is afraid that her grade from last semester will affect her current applications for financial aid and scholarships. She argued that a D would be less detrimental to her chances with these applications. She understands that she didn't do well (though I know that she put in a valient effort) and that is why she wants to take the class again. But argue as she might, I told her that I wouldn't change her grade.

But it wasn't an easy decision for me. My ultimate goal is to push forth students who understand the material. So, I try to maintain high expectations coupled with a teaching ethic that says students get what they earn. So going by the traditional 100-90 is an A, 89-80 is a B, etc, my student earned an overall 57%. This falls below the 60% mark and thus is an F. So that's why I stuck to my guns.

Yet, I must confess that this situation has me revisiting the concept of grades. Really, what is the difference between a D and an F? Both mean you didn't earn enough to for a C or Satisfactory grade. I suppose I can argue that F means you showed very little or practically no clue as to what was going on. Whereas a D means you showed some clue, but not enough for a Satisfactory. Well if that's the case, then where does this student fall? Well, sometimes she showed no clue, but sometimes she did show some comprehension. I guess that's why her grade came "close" to a D. (some students had a really really strong F which I have no doubts about)

But when it comes down to affecting peoples ability to pay for school, which means access to education, is that difference between a D and an F really that important?

4 Comments:

Blogger Mur said...

Remember, CAL didn't have D's. I guess that's why.

11:10 AM

 
Blogger Mighty Mom said...

It would only make a difference if she REALLY needed that 1 grade point which the D gives. It's a tough crowd you are dealing.. I guess I'll be seeing this student in my office looking for money!

1:55 PM

 
Blogger Edward said...

CAL gave D's! I know cuz I have at least two ;)

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Mur said...

oh....oops...that was Whitney! Whoa! That F in accounting REALLY sucked then!

5:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home