ang mga isip ko

Monday, October 04, 2004

My condolences...

I've mentioned before how I like to look at life with a "the glass is half-full" mentality. This is fine when it comes to me in my own little world, but I've had to learn how to apply it to my day-to-day relationships. I mean, what happens when you come across somebody who is just not feeling your "glass is half-full" attitude? I wouldn't want that dark cloud to affect me, yet I don't want to totally ignore it as well.

A few years ago, I came across a few sentences which put it all into perspective for me. I was reading a book on personal relationships. One chapter dealt with the fear of crashing and burning in the dating scene. According to the book, the best way to handle this fear was to take to heart the following:

Wow, her cat must have died today. I hope she feels better soon.

I had to laugh when I read this. I imagined trying to strike up a conversation with a girl at a club, only to get flatly rejected in a manner that would make normal guys crumble, then walking off, jovially thinking, "Wow, her cat must have died today. I hope she feels better."

Anyway, I'm no longer in the dating scene, but I've found that this concept extends well into other areas of my life. If I'm at a store and come across a grouchy, caustic sales person, I immediately think, "Wow, his cat must have died today. Poor guy. Hope he feels better soon." Then, I'll work on getting what I need.

It's tongue-in-cheek, but I like it. It's basically, "I'm rubber and you're glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you!" Yet, you're not shutting out the person, but instead wishing them well.

Hey as I long as I got my shit together and am not the one at fault, then "sorry about your cat" is a great way to get through the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mur said...

That's pretty funny. The pet cemetary must be pretty crowded in my parts!

4:46 PM

 
Blogger mrs cruz said...

I had always seen the glass as half empty. But since meeting YOU, I've learned that sometimes it's half full. I've also learned to use that expression "Hmmm...her/his cat died today..." You know that! Life so much easier when you don't let other people get to you. Remember when MY cat died when you first met me? Hehehe...

9:30 PM

 
Blogger R said...

Ed, that's so funny man. I'll have to use that one when I eventually get rejected... hehe. Jokes. With me I was a half empty guy that conditioned himself to say 'half full'. I suppose I've eventually became a positive guy my conditioning promised. Rhoel.

10:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home