ang mga isip ko

Monday, September 27, 2004

Coming Home

Wow, two more sleeps. Two more sleeps until Tina and Isaac return home from their trip up North. They left September 12 and the arrival of Wednesday will make their journey a total of 17 days.

In the span of our lives, this is but a fleeting moment. Next year this time, I won't even remember much of what I did while they were away. Two years from now, I might not even remember what days or even month, they were gone

But for now, I can say their absence has been hard on me.


This is the longest mrs c's been gone since she moved down from Canada in February. A married friend of mine told me that you'll begin to realize the sacrifices and compromises that come with marriage after a few months of cohabitation. So, I wondered what it would be like to finally live with Tina. Eight months have passed since she moved down and it's been absolute bliss. Compromise and sacrifice imply a loss; I've lost nothing and gained everything by moving in together.

Although we talk everyday, sometimes for several hours, it's no longer enough. When we were dating and even recently married, that "see each other every few weeks lifestyle" was all we knew and thus tolerable. But now that I've sampled the good life, time apart is almost intolerable.

As for little Isaac, he has shifted our Universe ever since he arrived in July. Everyday, we're amazed by his growth and his affect on us. Tina said that he's gone through a growth spurt and is no longer the newborn. He's now wearing his 3-6 month clothes even though he's only 2.5 months. He's already outgrown outfits that I have yet to see him wear. His personality has changed, and he's got more motor skills and control now. Tina said that he's now a little more clingy to her, crying a little more when others hold him.

Being on the fringe and not being there for all of this has been tough. On top of that, although I know he'll eventually get over it, I'm afraid and nervous that he won't recognize me.

My dad use to have work assignments in Indonesia and Saudi Arabia that would take him away for most of the year. Now I realize how tough that must have been on him and my mom.

I don't like being apart from my family. It was much harder than I thought it would be. In the future, if I can avoid it, I will.

To be fair, this trip was a necessity. Tina's mom hadn't seen Isaac yet, and since she couldn't come down to visit, we had to bring him up to visit her. Also, Tina was getting homesick and wanted to see her friends and family. This trip was good for her.

I will be extremely HAPPY to have my FAMILY come home. Yet part of me will be sad, because I know part of Tina will be sad. Hopefully we'll be able to go to Canada soon, as a family.

6 Comments:

Blogger double R said...

what a lovely post. we of course canadians would love you to visit us soon!

it was great to see issac and tina!

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Big Sexy said...

That was quite exquisite writing dear old pal. Brought tears to my eyes.

10:00 PM

 
Blogger cristina said...

that was beautiful ed! it was great having mrs. c and lil' c here this week but we know where they really belong...can't wait til you all visit in december!

10:41 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

That was such a nice read! Don't worry, trips away from each other don't happen often - it's hard for everyone involved! Isaac will be so happy to hear daddy's voice - don't worry about that, either - he remembers you.

7:45 AM

 
Blogger Edward said...

thanks all :)

hope to see you guys soon too!

2:45 PM

 
Blogger mrs cruz said...

Yes, babe..next time it'll have to be ALL of us coming to visit! 1 more sleep!!

4:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home