ang mga isip ko

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I try to live life with a smile.

Most of the time, I see my glass as being half-full (unless it's a glass of scotch...then it always seems half empty). If the sun is out, you'll probably find me donning a pair of shorts, Islander tsinelas, a button-up, short sleeve shirt, and a cowboy hat. If it's cloudy or raining, you'll probaby find me donning a pair of shorts, Islander tsinelas, a button up, short sleeve shirt, and a cowboy hat. I like to think that the sun shines on me everyday. Tina's commented that my optimism complements her pessimism (which ain't that pessimistic anyway).

But I do have a dark side. My professional life and personal life have trained me to have a more austere form of myself...my alter ego...Professor Cruz.

Maybe you've taken my class and got caught talking while I'm talking or worse, got caught cheating! Then you've met Professor Cruz. He's the one that'll stop lecturing and stare at you with a furrowed scowl...and wait...and glare...and wait...until the whole class is following my gaze to look at you or you realize that you've been caught. Then he'll hold it for a second longer and without saying a word, go back to lecturing. He's the one, who, before he dismisses class, will then call your name out loud and say, "We need to talk."

Sometimes Professor Cruz pops up outside of the classroom too. Maybe you were a musician who really really missed a cue and it throwing the rest of us off. You didn't realize it and kept playing to your heart's content, but you looked up and saw Professor Cruz glaring at you, with that furrowed scowl, eyes glaring "WHAT-ARE-YOU-PLAYING?!?!?"

Lately, Professor Cruz has been popping up elsewhere too. Maybe you tried to wake up Isaac, right after we just got him to go to sleep...and he's still sick...and it would be tough getting him to fall back alseep. Then you met Professor Cruz.

I think it's a passion thing. If we're talking about something that I really really care about, like teaching, or playing music, or my family...then of course I'm gonna be concerned about any missteps.

But, I do recognize that outside the classroom, Professor Cruz sometimes needs to tone down. So if you catch him emerging from the skin of mild-mannered ECruz, then a small smile and a quick "Hey man, simmer down" should do the trick.

Unless your name is Isaac, and you just broke your curfew ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger cristina said...

i've rarely had contact w/ professor cruz, except maybe when you're up here for a show and we're missing our cues or are out of tune! then again, maybe it's b/c everytime i do see you tina is around and she brings out the best in you blah blah blah blah.... =)

btw, i love how your new favorite phrase is "simmer down"....next thing you know you'll be saying "whoa-whoa"!!!!

9:29 AM

 
Blogger bev said...

I'll bet Professor Cruz is kept in check by 'Miss MatiasCruz' :) bev

12:30 PM

 
Blogger R said...

I've conditioned myself to say that the glass is half full. I suppose that says alot about me than if I naturally would say half full or half empty...because dude, it's half empty but I'm gonna tell you that it's half full. Unless of course it's a beer we're talking about. "Is this glass half full or half empty?". "Waitress, same again!!!! Sorry did you say something?" Rhoel.

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Bryan said...

dude, i truly admire your optimism and positive outlook. i basically grew up very pessimistic, but slowly snapped out of it when i moved up to the bay.... altho, sometimes my b*tchiness has been known to come threw - esp during crappy rehearsals... :-P

12:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home