ang mga isip ko

Sunday, May 30, 2004

how do you get to carnegie hall?

practice, practice, practice.

It's an old one-liner that bounced around in my head all the way home from a gig yesterday. Last night, we were invited to play live rondalla music on Ritmos De Las Americas, a radio show hosted on KPFA by Rosi Reyes. We started practicing for this gig two weeks ago, meeting twice as a group plus everyones own individual rehearsing. Our playlist included traditional songs like Pandanggo and Itik-Itik, but also included some of our newer songs like Dahil Sa Isang Bulaklak and Rosas Pandan. Rosi was a great hostess who seemed to really appreciate the music. She would ask a few questions, then let us play, then ask a few more questions, and then let us play again, etc. Plus throughout the show, she allowed us to continually plug some our upcoming gigs. All in all, it was a great experience for the us.

But it was a challenging gig! We were too big for the soundbooth that she wanted us in, so we had to split up into three different rooms! Guitars and bass were in the far room, lauds were in the middle room, and all five banduryas were in the first room. These adjoined rooms did have windowed-walls, but for the most part, we still couldn't see each other and could only hear the others through the headphones that we all wore.

That was crazy! From the very beginning of the ensemble, we've always played together in the same room. We've done well with this, developing into an ensemble that feels each other's playing to adjust dynamics and tempo. We also use visual cues such as headnods to start instead of counting down. So, being in separate rooms, while at the mercy of our headphones' levels, made playing together tough! But we survived (albeit with a few nicks and cuts), and came out of this gig with some important experience. All in all, I would rate the ensemble's performance in the B range.

As an individual however, I would give myself a C- to D+. I have been practicing with the group, but I haven't been doing as much solo rehearsing. Consequently, my playing has suffered. I missed phrases here and there, hit a couple of wrong notes here and there. Shoot! I didn't even have all my music in order. For the first time in a long time, I was upset and disappointed with myself. As I told our bass player Ernie, "I'm gonna have to chalk this one up to the 'A Lesson Learned Category' "

This past year, my focus on my music has slowly waned. Other aspects in my life such as getting married in Canada, visiting Tina there, getting her down here to the US, and preparing for a baby have demanded more of my attention (as they should!) But I do feel bad because I would still like to keep the company and the music we play a part of our lives.

On the drive home, I decided that I don't want to lose my chops and want to keep & resharpen the edge that I've created. With the baby on the way, I know that my schedule will never be the same. As Tina and I adjust to baby, I might have to miss rehearsals here and there, but that doesn't mean I should stop practicing on my own. I want to keep up with new material and keep old material fresh in my mind. So, I'm gonna have to squeeze out a little more time at home to practice. As the dust settles from the first few months, we should be able to wean ourselves back into the scene. If not soon, then eventually for sure!

Bryan our Maestro said last night that he enjoyed the radio gig and that it could be addicting! I agree! We were invited back and even got a request to do a whole different radio program. As the group begins to expands it's horizons and experiences, who knows, we just might find ouselves at Carnegie Hall one day :)

3 Comments:

Blogger neekoh said...

you all sounded great over the radio.

3:00 PM

 
Blogger double R said...

congratulations ed...that's amazing. i'm sure you were great as always!

hope all is well with tina and the little one!

7:35 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

Wow! then I must be a F-

8:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home