ang mga isip ko

Sunday, June 13, 2004

Holy Moly! and other idioms

Since Tina's moved down and our time together has increased almost 7 fold, my vocabulary has expanded to include some of Tina's sayings. For example, when things are going unexpected or something happens that deserves an exclamation, you will now hear me say something like "Holy Moly! What's going on?" (of course intonated as a third grade teacher might do so).

Now if you've known me for awhile (haha...or even the first day of meeting me), then you know that although I exercise good constraint, I can launch a vitriolic tirade of cuss words here and then. If someone is razzing me in good fun, I usually have no qualms with volleying a nice little "Man...Fuck you!" along their way.

So it seems a bit odd to hear myself saying "holy moly!". In fact the other day, while fishing with one of my high school buddies, I saw a big 24" trout surface from the depths of the lake to grab a bug. I was startled and exclaimed, "Holy moly! That was a big ass trout!". As soon as the words left my mouth, I thought to myself, "Wow, that sounds kind of odd." My buddy confirmed my suspicions with his own quizzical look that read "did i just hear you say holy moly with the phrase big ass?"

Oh well. I suppose with the baby on the way...it's better that I start watching my cussing and put a little more effort to speak in 3rd grade diction.

5 Comments:

Blogger bev said...

So, does Tina now say "Is that right..." bev :)

9:59 AM

 
Blogger mrs cruz said...

Sometimes... :)

7:19 PM

 
Blogger Gary said...

Holy Moly must be a Canadian thing ey?

9:38 PM

 
Blogger Big Sexy said...

Didn't you guys know that Holy Moly is nothing but a mixture of swiss cheese and guacamole. (let me see how many of you get this)

9:45 PM

 
Blogger double R said...

it's not a canadian thing, it's swiss-mexican!

7:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home