ang mga isip ko

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tiny Bubbles

This is probably my fourth or fifth attempt at this blog. I've been writing and rewriting now for half an hour. It'll take me a few minutes to write a sentence or two, then I delete and start over. How do you post an entry that will do justice to the memory of a long-time friend. So I type and delete and type and delete.

He was fun and funny. He was passionate and thoughtful. He was a fighter and a dancer. He believed in social justice and in helping out those who were headed down the wrong path. And he could get along with all-kinds of people.

I've known him for almost 18 years. Back in the days he was a homeboy from Carson who choreographed UC Berkeley's first modern dance routine in a PCN. His passion for dance took him into that crazy world of Pilipino folk dance where along the way, he had solos, played music, technically directed, taught, you name it.

He almost died several years ago but fought back and lived to continue life to its fullest.

As I sit here and reminisce over almost decades of memories, I've finally realized one thing I can absolutely say about Sam Largo; he left his mark and legacy in not only whatever he did, but more importantly with whomever he met.

From Southern California to the Bay Area to Vancouver, Canada there will be scores of friends thinking about how Sam touched their lives.

As short as this entry is, it's taken about an hour to write. Strings of memories continue to pop in and out of my mind: modern dance tryouts, folk dance rehearsals, travelling to Malta, partying with 40's while listening to 2Pac, small gigs, hanging out backstage, partying in Canada...

Thanks for being part of my life. Rest in peace my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home