ang mga isip ko

Monday, September 19, 2005

Oh that old old Palawan

I googled "Paragua" and got this...

An island in the southwest Philippines renamed Palawan in 1905.

cool trivia bit.

After several seasons of Jota Manilena, we have recently reintroduced Jota Paragua into the repertoire. It's been awhile since we performed it; my last vivid memory of the dance was during our wedding, when a group from both Likha and KP danced for Tina and I. As Tina and I sat on the dance floor, I remember vividly thinking, "Man...I wish I could play with those guys!"

Jota Paragua is one of my favorite pieces to play! There's so much room for expression and tweaking that I often lose focus on the dancers and lose myself in the melodies and phrases. By the time I come too...the dancers are already done!

I should relish the time we spend on it though, cuz we have another Jota waiting in the wings!

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Sexy said...

me too, out of all the Jotas we play, this is my favorite.
although the one that Bryan wrote is pretty darn cool too.

8:28 PM

 
Blogger laragitara said...

that was fun, dancing at your wedding...

1:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home